button to main menu  Gents Mag 1819 part 1 p.508

button introduction
button list, 1st qtr 19th century
button previous page
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.508
there was only one house; and in 1811 there were in Mary-port 323 houses, containing 3134 inhabitants, exclusive of sailors, which were estimated at 900 more.
Ormathwaite was the seat of Dr. William Brownriff (sic), an eminent physician, author on the art of making salt, and preventing pestilential contagion; he died here in 1800, aged 88.
Ousby was the rectory from 1672, till his death in 1719, of Thomas Robinson, author of 'An Essay towards a Natural History of Cumberland and Westmoreland,' 'A Natural History of this World of Matter and this World of Life,' and 'The Anatomy of the Earth.'
Penrith castle was enlarged and repaired by Richard Duke of Gloucester, afterwards Richard III. who made it his principal residence for five years. In 1598 at Penrith 583 person died of the plague, according to the register, but the number is incorrectly stated on a brass plate in the church as amounting to 2260. The vicarage was enjoyed from 1699 till his death in 1728 by Dr. Hugh Todd, who made considerable topographical collections for this county, and wrote a brief account of Carlisle.
Plompton Park, according to Ritson, was a favourite haunt of Robin Hood.
In Sebergham church is a monument of its native poet Josiah Ralph, who was curate here from 1733 till his death in 1743. His poems were published by his successor in the curacy, the Rev. Thomas Denton, who was himself author of two poems, and compiled the supplemental volume of the Biographical Dictionary. He died in 1777.
Stanwix was the vicarage of Dr. Paley from 1793 to 1795.
Stapleton was the rectory from 1771 till his death in 1796, of William Graham, translator of Virgil's Eclogues, and author of Sermons.
In Wetheral church is the monument, by Nollekens, of Maria, daughter of Lord Archer, and wife of Henry Howard, esq. who died 1789.
Whitehaven, in the reign of Elizabeth, contained only six houses. In 1633, it had only nine thatched cottages. In 1693, under the patronage of Sir John Lowther, it was inhabited by 2,222 persons, mostly occupied in Sir John's collieries. In 1811 there were 1974 houses and 10,106 inhabitants. In the castle, the seat of the earl of Lonsdale, are some fine paintings and family portraits.
button also see Tymms
gazetteer links
button -- Holy Trinity and St Constantine's Church
button -- Maryport
button -- Ormathwaite Hall
button -- Penrith Castle
button -- Penrith
button -- "Plompton Park" -- Plumpton Park
button -- St Andrew's Church
button -- St Luke's Church
button -- St Mary's Church
button -- St Mary's Church
button -- St Michael's Church
button -- Whitehaven

button to main menu Lakes Guides menu.