button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
St Michael, Stanwix
St Michael's Church
Stanwix Church
locality:-   Stanwix
civil parish:-   Carlisle (formerly Cumberland)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   church
coordinates:-   NY40145704
1Km square:-   NY4057
10Km square:-   NY45
references:-   : 2005: Diocese of Carlisle, Directory 2004/5

BOH67.jpg (taken 26.10.2007)  

evidence:-   old map:- OS County Series (Cmd 23 3) 
placename:-  St Michael's Church
source data:-   Maps, County Series maps of Great Britain, scales 6 and 25 inches to 1 mile, published by the Ordnance Survey, Southampton, Hampshire, from about 1863 to 1948.
"St Michael's Church (Vicarage) / Grave Yard"

evidence:-   old map:- Ogilby 1675 (plate 62) 
source data:-   Raod strip map, uncoloured engraving, the Road from Carlisle to Barwick, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by John Ogilby, London, 1675.
In mile 0, Cumberland. 
Church on the right of the road at:-  "Stanix alias Stanx[]icks"
item:-  JandMN : 83
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Ogilby 1675 (plate 38) 
placename:-  Stannick Chappell
source data:-   Road strip map, hand coloured engraving, continuation of the Road from London to Carlisle, scale about 1 inch to 1 mile, by John Ogilby, London, 1675.
In mile 301, Cumberland.  "Stannick chappell"
drawn on the right of the road to the north. 
item:-  JandMN : 21
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- Bowen 1720 (plate 94) 
placename:-  Stanwick Chapel
source data:-   Strip maps, uncoloured engravings, road maps, The Road from London to Carlisle, scale about 2 miles to 1 inch, with sections in Lancashire and Westmorland, published by Emanuel Bowen, St Katherines, London, 1720.
At end of scroll, north of Carlisle. 
item:-  Dove Cottage : 2007.38.100
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G819A508, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.508 
From the Compendium of County History:-  "Stanwix was the vicarage of Dr. Paley from 1793 to 1795."

evidence:-   old text:- Harper 1907
source data:-   Guidebook, The Manchester and Glasgow Road, by Charles G Harper, published by Chapman and Hall Ltd, London, 1907.
Page 152:-  "... Stanwix church and churchyard stand upon the site of the fort. A precious ugly church, too, it is that has been built here: Early English only by intention; with a dismally crowded churchyard around it. ..."

evidence:-   old map:- Nurse 1918
source data:-   Map, The Diocese of Carlisle, Cumberland, Westmorland, and Lancashire North of the Sands, scale about 4 miles to 1 inch, by Rev Euston J Nurse, published by Charles Thurnam and Sons, 11 English Street, Carlisle, Cumberland, 2nd edn 1939.
item:-  JandMN : 27
Image © see bottom of page

 notes about bells

evidence:-   database:- Listed Buildings 2010
placename:-  Church of St Michael
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
source data:-  
courtesy of English Heritage
"Church of England church on a medieval site. 1841-3 by John Hodgson; 1843 repairs; 1893 alterations and 1907 extension. Red sandstone ashlar in irregularly-coursed small blocks, on chamfered plinth, with clasping buttresses carried up as pinnacles on tower and nave; stone-bracketed metal gutters. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials. West 3-stage square tower/porch; 10-bay nave with transepts; apsidal chancel with north organ chamber (former vestry) and south vestry extension. Built in Commissioners style. Tower has west double plank doors in painted chamfered arch; tall lancets above on 2 levels, the upper ones with louvred vents; clock faces on 3 sides. Nave and transepts have tall lancet windows. Vestries have 2- and 3-light windows some with cusped heads, others rounded. Apse has arcade of small round-arched windows."
"INTERIOR: rib-vaulted plaster ceiling in nave and apse. Windows mostly of plain glass; some C20 stained glass. C19 painted board giving list of church benefactors and Hanoverian kings' arms 1714-1801. Late C19 hexagonal wooden pulpit and benches. 1893 granite-pillared sandstone font. Extensive white marble wall plaques some with carved portrait heads, draped figures etc, to Robert Ferguson d.1816 (see Marshall Hall, 1979), Eliza Graham d.1852 and John Chambers d.1850 are all by John Kirkbride 1786-1854; Esther Bonnel d.1822, Isabella Patrickson d.1854, Charles James Graham d.1847 and Wm Sowerby d.1855 are all by Thomas Nelson 1807-90; Charles Wm Thompson d.1843 by Christopher Woodall 1795-1859; Maria Woodrouffe Head d.1854 by Bedford of Oxford (this is probably J Bedford of Oxford Street, London); Capt Hugh Patrickson d.1821 by Paul Nixson 1768-1850."
"HISTORY: The foundation stone was laid on 1 June 1841 and it opened in 1843, but a fire on 21 December 1843 destroyed the wooden fitments and roof; for further details see Taylor (1982). Built on the site of a Roman Wall fort."
"(Marshall Hall: The Artists of Cumbria: 1979-: P.50"
"Taylor G: A Brief History of Stanwix: 1982-)."

3 cross slab grave covers; behind the organ!

Ryder, Peter: 2001: Cross Slab Grave Covers of Cumbria: Cumbria CC (Carlisle, Cumbria)

Described in:-

Butler, Lawrence (ed): 2011: Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne for Cumbria, 1833-1872: CWAAS:: ISBN 978 1 873124 52 9
Extracted from the original notes made by Sir Stephen, now in Deiniol's Library, Hawarden, Flintshire, contact through Flintshire Record Office

BOH68.jpg (taken 26.10.2007)  

person:-    : St Michael
place:-   Stanwix / Carlisle Diocese

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.