button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
included in:-  

Cumberland: Gents Mag 1819
evidence:-   old text:- Gents Mag
source data:-   Magazine, The Gentleman's Magazine or Monthly Intelligencer or Historical Chronicle, published by Edward Cave under the pseudonym Sylvanus Urban, and by other publishers, London, monthly from 1731 to 1922.
image G819A402, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.402  "COMPENDIUM OF COUNTY HISTORY."
"British Inhabitants. Cumbri, a tribe of the Brigantes."
"Antiquities. British: Druidical circles on Grey Yawd, or King Harry fell, Sunken Kirk, and near Keswick. - Roman: Of miscellaneous antiquities the principal collections are at Netherby, Sir James Graham's; Nether-hall, Humphrey Senhouse, esq.; Walton-house, W. P. Johnson, esq.; and Wigton, the Rev. Richard Matthews. The antiquarian brothers Lysons have given a description of 142 altars and inscribed stones found in this county. Aspatria, Cross-Canonby and Dearham fonts. Dearham and Gosforth church-yard crosses. Two pillars at St Bride's. Carlisle Deanery. Akerton, Greystock, Irthington, and Millom castles. Towers and Mansion-houses of Dalston, Drumburgh-castle, Harby-brow, Hardrigg, Hewthwaite, Irton, Kirk-Andrews-upon-Eske, Lamplugh, Muncaster, Netherby, and Nether-hall. Excavations in the rock over the river Eden, called Wetheral Safeguard, or Constantine's cells. - Glass vessel, called 'The Luck of Eden-hall,' noticed in the Duke of Wharton's ballad,"
"'God prosper long from being broke
The Luck of Eden-hall.'"
"And another called 'The Luck of Muncaster.' On the preservation of these two vessels, according to popular superstition, the prosperity of their respective houses depends. Of the Edenhall cup there is an engraving in Lysons's 'Cumberland.' The Muncaster basin is said to have been presented to Sir John Pennington by Henry VI. who was secreted at Muncaster for some time."
"Among the monuments of its bishops in Carlisle Cathedral, the most curious are those of William Barrow 1429, and Richard Bull (engraved in Gough's 'Sepulchral Monuments') 1596."
"St. Bees derives its name from Bega, an Irish saint, who founded a monastery here about 650. Calder Abbey was erected by Ranulph de Meschines in 1134."
"Holme Cultram Abbey was founded in 1150, by Henry son of David King of Scots. In it was buried Robert Bruce, father of the Scottish King of that name. The abbot, though not mitred, was occasionally summoned to Parliament."
"Lanercost priory, founded by Robert de Vaux or de Vallibus, Lord of Gilsland in 1169, was often vsited by Edward I. with his Queens Eleanor and Margaret. At his last visit with Queen Margaret he was detained by illness from October 8, 1306, to February 28, 1306-7."
source data:-   image G819A403, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.403 
from the Compendiium of County History.  "PRESENT STATE AND APPEARANCES."
"Rivers. Aine, Bruscath, Cambeck, Line the black and the white, Liza, Nyte, Pultrop, Vent, Wiza or Wiz."
"Lake. Llough near Rowcliffe."
"Eminences and Views. Bootle beacon, Brampton mote, Carlisle castle, Castle cragg-hill, Cumrew fell, Dale Raughton, High style, Honiston cragg, King Harry fell, Lingy-close head, Moothay, Muncaster fell, Naddle fell, Red pike, St. Bee's head, Sandala top, Scarrow hill, the Screes, Spade-Adam top, Workington hill."
"Natural Curiosities. Biglands, sulphureous; Drig, Gilcrux, and Stanger, saline; Sebergham, petrifying; Bewcastle, Great Salkeld, Brampton, and Iron-gill chalybeate springs. - Scenery of Newland and Wanthwaite vales. Of the extraordinary eruption of Solwaty Moss, Nov. 15, 1771, not a trace is now to be seen, the ground having gradually been cleared at a great expence, and brought again to cultivation by Dr. Graham. who was landlord of the whole inundated track. This county is remarkable for the longevity of its inhabitants. In Lysons's 'Cumberland' is a list of 144 persons of not less than 100 years of age buried between the years of 1663 and 1814. The most remarkable instances recorded, are Robert Brown, aged 110, buried at Arthuret 1666. Richard Green, 114, Dacre 1680. Thomas Fearon, 112, Bride-kirk 1701, Jane Hodgson, 114, Harrington 1717. Thomas Dickenson, 112, Bootle 1745. Mary Lingleton, 110, Dearham. Rev. George Braithwaite, 110, Carlisle 1753, Mark Noble, 113, Corney 1768. James Bell, 113, Penrith, 1772. The obituary of the Gentleman's Magazine also records Ann Wilson, 110, Aston 1765. John Noble, 114, Corney 1772. John Maxwell, 132, Keswick Lake 1785. John Taylor, noticed among the eminent natives, lived to the age of 135."
"Public Edifices. Carlisle Assize courts, founded in 1810, within the walls of the antient citadel, architect Robert Smirke, jun. who also built the bridge of 5 elliptic arches, each of 35 feet span, founded 1812; County gaol; Grammar-school - Girl's Charity-school - Guildhall - Dovenby hospital and schools. - Keswick school; and Market-house, built 1813. - Longtown bridge, 5 arches. Penrith and Plumbland schools. - St. Bee's school, founded by Archb. Grindall. - Warwick bridge. - Whitehaven piers, four batteries, mounting together 18 guns; Dispensary. - Wigton school. - Workington bridge, erected 1763; Assembly rooms; theatre; schools."
"Barfield, Robert Gibson, esq."
"Barrow, The, Joseph Pocklington, esq."
"Bonstead-hill, William Nixon, esq."
"Brayton, Wilfred Lawson, esq."
"Bride-kirk, John Thompson, esq."
"Burgh-upon-Sands, G. H. Hewett, esq."
"Calder-abbey, Miss Senhouse."
"Castle-how, Miss Senhouse."
"Cockermouth-castle, Earl of Egremont."
"Dovenby-hall, J. B. Dykes, esq."
"Edenhall, Sir Philip Musgrave, bart."
"Ewanrigg, John Christian, esq,"
"Flimby-hall, Earl of Lonsdale."
"Hardriff-hall, Sir F. F. Vane, bart."
"Holme-hill, Colonel Salkeld."
"Holme-rook, Skiffington Lutwidge, esq."
"Hunter-hall, E. B. Harraden, esq."
"Hutton-john, Andrew Hudleston, esq."
"Irton-hall, E. L. Irton, esq."
"Isel, Wilfred Lawson, esq."
"Justice-town, Thomas Irwin, esq."
"Kirk-oswald, T. S. Featherstonehaugh, esq."
"Linethwaite, Thomas Hartley, esq."
"Long-burgh, Mason Hodges, esq."
"Lowthwaite-house, Williamson, esq."
"Melmerby, Rev. Joseph Pattinson."
"Moor-house, Richard Hodgson, esq."
"Moor-park, Joseph Liddell, esq."
"Naworth-castle, Earl of Carlisle."
"Nether-hall, Humphry Senhouse, esq."
"Newbiggen-hall, Rev. S. Bateman."
"Nunwick-hall, Miss E. Wilkinson."
"Oaks, The, Mrs. Blamire."
"Ormathwaite, Sir J. B. Walsh, bart."
"Orthwaite-hall, William Brown, esq."
"Pap-castle, Thomas Knight, esq."
"Rickerby, James Graham, esq."
"Salkeld-lodge, Colonel Lacy."
"Sella-park, Edward Stanley, esq."
"Skirwith-abbey, J. O. Yates, esq."
"Southerby-hall, John Fallowfield, esq."
"Staffold, R. L. Ross, esq."
"Tallantire-hall, William Brown, esq."
"Vicar's Island, General Peachey."
"Warwick-hall, Robert Warwick, esq."
"Whitehaven-castle, Earl of Lonsdale."
"Woodside, late John Losh, esq."
"Peerage. Burgh barony to Lowther Earl of Lonsdale, who is also Viscount and Baron Lowther of Whitehaven: Carlisle earldom to Howard, who is also Baron Dacre of the North, or of Gilsland: Cumberland dukedom to Prince Ernest Augustus, fifth son of the King: Dacre of the South barony to the lady of Thomas Brand, esq.: Egremont earldom and Cockermouth"
An incensed earlier reader has added in ms, rivers Eden, Caldew, Pettril, Derwent and lakes Keswick, Ullswater, Bassenthwaite 
source data:-   image G819A404, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.404  "barony to Wyndham: Ellenborough barony to Law: Greystock barony to Howard Duke of Norfolk: Lorton Irish viscounty to King: Muncaster Irish barony to Pennington: of Cockermouth, Lucy barony to Percy Duke of Northumberland."
"Produce. Oysters; char-fish. Wheat, barley. Copper; grindstones. The Whitehaven collieries, the property of the Earl of Lonsdale, are the most extensive of any in the kingdom."
"Manufactures. Iron: paper: carpets: blankets: ropes: breweries: coarse pottery."
"... / Houses. / Inhab."
"Preston, in St. Bee's parish / 691 / 3261"
"Harrington / 348 / 1621"
"Middlegate and Sandgate in Penrith parish / 294 / 1191"
Historical notes are given under the relevant places.  "..."
"120. Cumberland ravaged by Mogal King of the Scots, and Uniparus King of the Picts."
"937. Cumberland occupied by Athelstan after his victory at Brunanburgh."
"940. Cumberland granted by Edmund I. to Indulph, son and heir-apparent of Malcom King of Scotland, on his doing homage for the same."
"945. Cumberland having rebelled against Indulph, and elected a King of the name of Dunmaile, Edmund I. laid waste the county, put out the eyes of Dunmaile's two sons, and reinstated Indulph."
"1069. Cumberland granted by William the Conqueror to Ranulph de Meschines, afterwards Earl of Chester; Malcolm King of Scotland being dispossessed of this principality for granting an asylum to the English refugees."
"1157. Cumberland ceded by Malcolm IV. of Scotland to Henry II. who confirmed to Malcolm the possession of the earldom of Huntingdon."
source data:-   image G819A405, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.405  "1237. Cumberland finally annexed to the throne of England by cession of Alexander King of Scotland to Henry III."
source data:-   image G819A505, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.505 
From the Compendium of County History:-  "ADDITIONS TO CUMBERLAND, Vol.LXXXVI. Part ii. page 599."
"(Concluded from page 405.)"
Continued historical notes are given under the relevant places. 
source data:-   image G819A506, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.506  "..."
"1523. Cumberland plundered, and 300 prisoners carried into Scotland by Lord Maxwell."
Biographical notes are to be found under relevant places. 
source data:-   image G819A507, button  goto source
Gentleman's Magazine 1819 part 1 p.507  "..."
these remarks are to be found under the relevant place. 

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.