button to main menu  Old Cumbria Gazetteer
Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway
Cumbrian Coast Line
civil parish:-   Whitehaven (formerly Cumberland)
civil parish:-   St Bees (formerly Cumberland)
civil parish:-   Lowside Quarter (formerly Cumberland)
civil parish:-   St Bridget Beckermet (formerly Cumberland)
civil parish:-   Ponsonby (formerly Cumberland)
civil parish:-   Seascale (formerly Cumberland)
civil parish:-   Drigg and Carleton (formerly Cumberland)
civil parish:-   Muncaster (formerly Cumberland)
civil parish:-   Waberthwaite (formerly Cumberland)
civil parish:-   Bootle (formerly Cumberland)
civil parish:-   Whicham (formerly Cumberland)
civil parish:-   Millom Without (formerly Cumberland)
civil parish:-   Broughton West (formerly Lancashire)
county:-   Cumbria
locality type:-   railway
SummaryText:-   from Whitehaven, through Corkickle, St Bees, Nethertown, Braystones, Sellafield, Seascale, Drigg, Ravenglass, Eskmeals, Bootle, Silecroft, Millom, Green Road, Cumberland; to Foxfield on the Furness Railway, Lancashire, 1849. Extension from Corkickle to join the Whitehaven Junction Railway, 1852.
references:-   image  click to enlarge

BLW36.jpg (taken 18.4.2006)  

evidence:-   old map:- Garnett 1850s-60s H
source data:-   Map of the English Lakes, in Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, scale about 3.5 miles to 1 inch, published by John Garnett, Windermere, Westmorland, 1850s-60s.
triple line, light bold light, railway 
"Whitehaven &Furness Junction Raily."
item:-  JandMN : 82.1
Image © see bottom of page

evidence:-   old map:- LMS 1939 B
source data:-   image  click to enlarge
item:-  JandMN : 1016.5
Image © see bottom of page

CCS55.jpg  Postmark:-
"WHITEHAVEN PRESTON T.P.O / 18 AU / 63" for a Travelling Post Office.
Stamp - Elizabeth II, 2½pence, red
This TPO ran between Whitehaven and Preston in the 1930s-760s.

evidence:-   old print:- 
item:-  rail
source data:-   Print, uncoloured engraving, Saint Bees, Cumberland, drawn by R Shepherd, published 1850s-60s.
image  click to enlarge
Notice the Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway. 
printed at bottom:-  "SAINT BEES"
item:-  Dove Cottage : 2008.107.520
Image © see bottom of page

An early plan went from Millom Station, across the 1¼mile Duddon estuary by viaduct, to join the Furness railway south of Kirkby.
New powers were acquired, 1865, for a line from Millom across the Duddon estuary to a junction with the Furness Railway at Askam, and then straight across to Lindal. This never hapenned; the FR took over in 1865. A contractor had started work on the new viaduct, materials onsite, etc by 1867.

person:-   railway company
 : Whitehaven and Furness Junction Railway
date:-   1845
 to 1865

person:-   railway company
 : Furness RailwayFR
date:-   1865
 to 1923

person:-   railway company
 : London, Midland and Scottish RailwayLMS
date:-   1923
 to 1948

person:-   railway company
 : British RailwaysBR
date:-   1948

goes through:-    Preston Street Goods, Whitehaven
 engine shed, Whitehaven (2)
 Corkickle No.2 Junction, Whitehaven
 railway junction, Corkickle
 Mirehouse Junction, Whitehaven
 level crossing, St Bees
 St Bees Station, St Bees
 Nethertown Station, Lowside Quarter
 railway bridge, Nethertown
 Braystones Station, Lowside Quarter
 Sellafield Junction, St Bridget Beckermet
 Sellafield Station, St Bridget Beckermet
[Sellafield Sidings, St Bridget Beckermet]
 Calder Viaduct, St Bridget Beckermet
 railway bridge, Seascale
 Seascale Station, Seascale
 railway bridge, Seascale (2)
 railway bridge, Whitriggs
 coal depot, Drigg
 Drigg Station, Drigg
 Irt Viaduct, Drigg and Carleton
 railway bridge, Drigg and Carleton
 level crossing, Saltcoats
 railway viaduct, Ravenglass
 railway bridge, Ravenglass
 Ravenglass Station, Ravenglass
 Walls Bridge, Ravenglass
 Eskmeals Viaduct, Waberthwaite
 Eskmeals Station, Bootle
 railway bridge, Bootle
[Eskmeals Range siding, Bootle]
 railway bridge, Bootle (3)
 railway bridge, Bootle (2)
 Bootle Station, Hycemoor
 Whitbeck Crossing, Whitbeck
 railway bridge, Whitbeck
 Silecroft Station, Millom Without
 level crossing, Millom Without
 accommodation crossing, Kirksanton
 lineside hut, Kirksanton
 Kirksanton Crossing, Kirksanton
 railway bridge, Millom (2)
 accommodation crossing, Millom
 Haverigg Crossing, Millom
 signal box, Millom
 railway bridge, Millom
 Millom Station, Millom
 railway footbridge, Millom
 railway milepost, Millom
 Millom Junction, Millom
 level crossing, Millom Without (2)
 level crossing, Underhill
 Underhill Station, Millom Without
 Green Road Station, Millom Without
 railway bridge, Green Road
 Duddon Viaduct, Broughton West
 level crossing, Foxfield
 engine shed, Foxfield
 Foxfield Junction, Broughton West
21.7.1845: incorporated -  

1849 - 1850: opened 

goes through:-    Corkickle No.2 Junction, Whitehaven
 Corkickle Station, Whitehaven
 Whitehaven Tunnel, Whitehaven
 Whitehaven Station, Whitehaven
 Bransty Junction, Whitehaven
1855: opened, passengers -  

button to lakes menu  Lakes Guides menu.